- First step will be to download a program called 7zip.
7zip can be found at : https://www.7-zip.org/download.html
- Make sure the correct version is downloaded for your computer.
For this demonstration I will be doing this tutorial on windows 10 64 bit system type Majority of computers are 64 bit vs the old 32 bit.
- Once the application has installed, open it.
- A window that looks like this will open, and left click on install.
- Left click on close as soon as it finishes downloading
- Open 7-Zip File Manager
- Go to the File Folder that will be your desired encrypted folder or file. The same process will be done for either a folder or file.
- Highlight the folder or file, and left click on add.
- A new window will pop-up that looks like this:
- Make sure that everything is the same as the above screenshot.
- Change the name of the .zip file, and make sure you enter in a password and reenter it as well.
- Encryption method should be AES-256.
- Click on OK when finished.
- The zip file will be created successfully and in the same folder you had your original files you wanted to encrypt.
- The files inside will be visible to anyone who wants to see what’s inside the folder, but they will be unsuccessful with trying to open the file itself, try it yourself and confirm that the same error pops up.
- Now how to access the files.
- Find the folder that it is in.
- Right click on the folder and then find 7zip hover over it and another menu will come up and left click on extract files.
- Another pop-up will come up
- Here you will pick the folder you want the files to be extracted to
- Also you will need to type in the password that you created for the folder in Step 8.
- Click OK
- Check to make sure the files/folder are in the location you wanted them in, and You are done!
If you want to watch a video of the step by step process it can be found below :
If you have any other questions or requests feel free to email me.
Keep Techin’ On.